Application & Supporting Documents Deadline: December 15, 2019
(for September 2020 / January 2021)
Online application will be available in late September/early October. Please submit the application and all of the required documents by December 15. Apply early so that your referees can submit their references by the deadline.
How to Apply
- Review the instructions about how to apply and access the online application system.
- Login with your CWL account. If you don't have a CWL account, you can create one by clicking on the "Create a CWL account" button. IMPORTANT: Choose a CWL that you like or find acceptable, as your CS account will have the same name if you are admitted into our graduate program.
- Complete the online application and upload the required documents before submitting the application.
- Ensure that your referees submit the references by the application deadline.
NOTE: We do not provide information about your application over the phone. You must send your questions to email@example.com.
- Can I apply after December 15?
Can my referee submit the reference after December 15?
Can I postpone the deadline?
Only completed applications (for which all required documents are uploaded) submitted by December 15 will be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Submit all of the required documents early to avoid delays.
- The deadline is December 15. I don't have the English Proficiency Test report yet. Should I apply?
In order to apply, you must have taken the English Proficiency Test before the deadline, and be able to input the Test Registration Number and Date of Test on the application.
- Can I apply for both September and January?
The department evaluate applications for September and January at the same time. It will not increase your chances of being admitted if you apply for September and January in the same academic session. Applicants should decide which semester to apply for rather than submitting two sets of applications.
- Do I submit two applications if I am interested in UBC Okanagan and UBC Vancouver?
UBC Okanagan and UBC Vancouver are separate campuses located in different cities. You will need to submit two separate applications if you want to be admitted to either campus.
- Do I need to contact any faculty member or find a supervisor ahead of time?
We admit Master's students directly to the department rather than to an individual supervisor. For our PhD students, we will match them based on their area of interest. You can contact our faculty members directly, but it is not a requirement.
- How do I find information about your various research areas/projects, and the faculty in those areas?
Please refer to our website on Research activities.
- Can I select a non CS faculty member to be my potential supervisor ?
Our online application will only allow you to select faculty members from the Computer Science Department. If you wish to work with faculty member from another department, you should apply to the department that the faculty is in.
- My GPA is below the requirement; should I still apply?
Our review process involves ranking applicants against each other in different areas of the department's research. The letters of reference are probably the most important, with academic records second and statement of intent third. Research ability/potential is extremely important for PhD applicants. Meeting the minimum requirements may not be sufficient for admittance as top students from around the world compete for our limited number of positions. Students who don't meet the minimum requirement can submit an application at their own risk.
- I have not completed my degree as I am in the final year of studies, can I still apply for the MSc program?
You may apply as long as your degree is conferred before our program start date. Please upload your most current transcripts at the time of application.