This reading list contains books that are available in the ICICS/Computer Science Reading Room. For more resources, please check the Reading Room catalogue.
- Age of context : mobile, sensors, data and the future of privacy / Scoble, Israel
T 173.8 S36 2014
- Algorithms of oppression : how search engines reinforce racism / Noble
ZA 4230 N63 2018
- Alone together : why we expect more from technology and less from each other / Turkle.
HM 851 T86 2011
- Automatethis : how algorithms came to rule our world / Steiner (Finance/capital market--computer simulation, decision making, algorithms)
HG 106 S74 2012 (also Audiobook)
Becauseinternet : understanding the new rules of language / McCulloch
P 120 I6 M28 2019
- Big data : a revolution that will transform how we live, work, and think / Mayer-Schonberger, Cukier.
QA 76.9 D343 M396 2013
- The Big Nine : how the tech titans and their thinking machines could warp humanity / Webb
Q 334.7 W43 2019
- Black code : surveillance, privacy, and the dark side of the Internet / Deibert
HM 851 D45 2013
- Blockchain revolution : how the technology behind Bitcoin is changing money, business, and the world / Tapscott
HG 221 T36 2016
- The cathedral and the bazaar : musings on Linux and open source by an accidental revolutionary / Raymond.
QA 76.76 O63 R396 2001
- Code : version 2.0 / Lessig (Computer networks--law and legislation, Internet, cyberspace)
KF 390.5 C6 L47 2006
- Consent of the networked : the worldwide struggle for Internet freedom / MacKinnon.
HM 851 M3327 2012
- Content : selected essays on technology, creativity, copyright, and the future of the future / Doctorow.
T 14.5 D627 2008
- Copyrights and copywrongs : the rise of intellectual property and how it threatens creativity / Vaidhyanathan.
Z 642 V35 2003
- Cybersecurity and cyberwar : what everyone needs to know / Singer, Friedman
QA 76.9 A25 S562 2014
- Ethics for the information age. 7th ed. / Quinn
QA 76.9 M65 Q56 2017
- The future of ideas : the fate of the commons in a connected world / Lessig (Intellectual property, copyright, Internet--law and legislation, information society)
K 1401 L47 2001
- Ghost in the wires : my adventures as the world's most wanted hacker / Mitnick, Simon
HV 6772 M58 A3 2012
- The Googlization of everything : (and why we should worry) / Vaidhyanathan.
HD 9696.8 U64 G669 2011
- Hackers : heroes of the computer revolution / Levy.
QA 76.6 L469 2010
- The Internet is not the answer / Keen (Internet--economic aspects, information society, Web 2.0--social aspects, online social networks, social change, Internet--social aspects)
HM 851 K44 2015
- Is the internet changing the way you think? : the net's impact on our minds and future / edited by Brockman.
TK 5105.875 I57 I8 2011
- Irresistible : the rise of addictive technology and the business of keeping us hooked / Alter
HM 851 A437 2017
- Liars and outliers : enabling the trust that society needs to thrive / Schneier (Trust--social aspects, truthfulness and falsehood--social aspects, social interaction, social stability)
BJ 1500 T78 S35 2012
- Likewar : the weaponization of social media / Singer, Brooking
HM 742 S5745 2018
- Move fast and break things : how Facebook, Google, and Amazon cornered culture and undermined democracy / Taplin
(Internet--Social aspects, information society, electronic commerce, music/art/literature and the Internet)
HM 851 T365 2017
- The netdelusion : the dark side of internet freedom / Morozov
HM 851 M665 2011
- Networked : the new social operating system / Rainie, Wellman (Social networks, online social networks, interpersonal relations, Internet--social aspects)
HM 741 R35 2012
- The new digital age : reshaping the future of people, nations and business / Schmidt, Cohen (Digital electronics--social/political aspects, digital media--social/political aspects, information technology--Social/political aspects, computers and civilization, technology and civilization)
HM 851 S263 2013
- The one device : the secret history of the iPhone / Merchant
QA 76.8 I64 M47 2017
- No place to hide : Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. surveillance state / Greenwald (Whistle blowing, leaks-disclosure of information, electronic surveillance, domestic intelligence)
JF 1525 W45 G74 2014 (also available on Kobo)
- Our final invention : artificial intelligence and the end of the human era / Barrat (Artificial intelligence, human-computer interaction, human engineering, human evolution)
Q 335 B377 2013
- Privacy in the age of bigdata : recognizing threats, defending your rights, and protecting your family / Payton, Claypoole (Data protection, electronic surveillance, online safety & privacy, criminology, civil rights)
KF 1262 P39 2014
- Programmed inequality : howBritaindiscardedwomentechnologists and lost its edge in computing / Hicks
HD 6135 H53 2017
- Rise of the robots : technology and the threat of a jobless future / Ford (Labour supply--effect of automation/technological innovations, employment forecasting, technological innovations--economic aspects)
HD 6331 F58 2015
- Robot ethics : the ethical and social implications of robotics / edited by Lin, Abney, and Bekey.
TJ 211.49 R62 2012
- Robot ethics 2.0 : from autonomous cars to artifical intelligence / edited by Lin, Jenkins, and Abney
TJ 211.49 R62 2017
- The second machineage : work, progress, and prosperity in a time of brilliant technologies / Brynjolfsson, McAfee (Information technology--economic aspects, economic development--technological innovations, progress--social aspects, social stratification)
HC 79 I55 B796 2014 (also Audiobook)
- The shallows : what the Internet is doing to our brains / Carr (Neuropsychology, Internet--Physiological effect/psychological aspects)
QP 360 C3667 2010
- The singularity is near : when humans transcend biology / Ray Kurzweil (Brain--evolution, human evolution, genetics, nanotechnology, robotics)
QP 376 K85 2006
- Technically wrong : sexist apps, biased algorithms, and other threats of toxic tech / Wachter-Boettcher
TA 169.5 W33 2017
- This machine kills secrets : how WikiLeakers, cypherpunks and hacktivists aim to free the world's information / Greenberg.
HV 6773 G74 2012
- To be a machine : adventures among cyborgs, utopians, hackers, and the futurists solving the modest problem of death / O'Connell
B 821 O365 2016
- To saveeverything, click here : the folly of technological solutionism / Morozov.
HM 851 M6653 2013
- Who owns the future? / Jaron Lanier (Information technology--economic aspects, technological innovations--economic aspects)
HC 79 I55 L365 2013
- Accelerando / Stross (Artificial intelligence--fiction)
PR 6119 T79 A63 2005
After on : a novel of Silicon Valley / RobReid
PS 3618 E5474 A69 2017
- The circle / Eggers (Internet industry--fiction)
PS 3605 G34 C57 2013 (also available on Kobo, also Audiobook)
- Cryptonomicon / Stephenson (World War II--cryptography, data encryption--fiction)
PS 3569 T3868 C79 2000
- I hate the Internet : a useful novel / Kobek (Internet/technology--social aspects--fiction)
PR 6061 O2 I39 2016
- Neuromancer / Gibson (Computer hackers, business intelligence, information superhighway, nervous system, conspiracies--fiction)
PS 3557 I2264 N48 2000
- Readyplayer one / Cline (Virtual reality, utopias, puzzles--fiction)
PS 3603 L548 R43 2011 (also Audiobook)