Only applicants who already have or are going to receive a degree from any of the following countries are exempt from the English Proficiency requirement: Australia, Botswana, Canada, Ireland, Kenya, Singapore, South Africa, Nigeria, United Kingdom, and USA.
Applicants who have not and do not expect to receive a degree from the above named countries are required to fulfill the English Proficiency requirement by providing their results on the Test of English Proficiency. Applicants are required to:
a. enter their test scores;
b. upload a PDF copy of the test scores at the time of application; and,
c. arrange to send the electronic submission of scores to UBCby December 15.
NOTE: GRE is not required.
The test must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of the application. Applicants should arrange to take the test well in advance in order for UBC to receive the test scores by December 15. An offer of admission will NOT be given unless this requirement is met.
Submission of Test Results
TOEFL and IELTS test takers can request electronic submission of scores to universities. We accept electronic delivery directly from the test centre to UBC only. For all other tests, an official paper test score report ordered from the testing agency is required. Applicants are encouraged to upload their test results so that their application can be reviewed immediately, rather than waiting for the official report.
- TOEFL iBT scores of at least 100. (Institution Code: 0965).
- International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)
A minimum overall band score of 7.0 is required, with a minimum score of 6.5 in each component of the academic (NOT general) IELTS test. Please follow the steps on the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website (click on the IELTS tab) about score submission, so that we can receive your IELTS score electronically. (Institution Code: 0965)
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
A minimum overall MELAB score of 85 is required.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
A minimum overall score of 71-72 on the PTE Academic (NOT General) test is required.
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)
A minimum overall score of 70 is required with 60 on the speaking sub-test.
TOEFL and IELTS test takers can request electronic submission of scores to universities. For all other tests, an official paper test score report ordered from the testing agency is required. Photocopies of test scores are not acceptable.
- Test results are valid for 24 months from the date on which the test was taken.
- TOEFL myBest scores are not accepted for admission at the Vancouver Campus, graduate or undergraduate level. Minimum scores must be achieved in a single sitting of the test (i.e., scores across multiple tests may not be used to satisfy minimum component requirements)
- Only electronic scores are accepted for admission
NOTE: GRE is not required.
1. I received the following test scores. Can you please tell me my chances for admission?
The admissions committee considers the entire application when making a decision. It is not possible to evaluate your chances of admission based on a few quantitative measures.
2. My TOEFL/IELTS scores are below the listed requirement. Can I still apply?
We strongly recommend that applicants have at least the minimum requirement before they apply. Applicants with less than the above requirement may apply at their own risk.
3. My test scores will not arrive by the deadline. Will my application be evaluated?
You must take your test by December 15. If your scores are not available, please enter the test date and test registration number (if available). Once you receive the score report, please send a PDF copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. We may still review your application. However, spaces may be limited.
4. I will retake the TOEFL/IELTS exam, but it may not be available by the deadline. Should I apply using my old score?
Please refer to question 2.
5. Do you offer conditional admission program subject to TOEFL requirement?
We do not offer conditional admission subject to English language proficiency requirement. Applicants must meet the minimum requirement set by the department.
6. I did very well on my GRE/GMAT. Can I still submit the report with my application? Would it help?
We do not review GRE scores. Please do NOT send them.
7. Do I need to send a hard copy of my English Proficiency Test Results?
TOEFL and IELTS test takers can request electronic submission of scores to universities. We accept electronic delivery directly from the test centre to UBC only. For all other tests an official paper test score report ordered from the testing agency is required. Applicants can upload their test results so that their application can be reviewed immediately rather than waiting for the official report.
8. I have sent my official English test scores electronically, have you received it yet?
Please wait at least two weeks after the test score submission date before requesting test score status.
Note: We are unable to check English test scores for prospective applicants that have not submitted an application.
9. Can I take an English language course in lieu of an English Proficiency Test (e.g. TOEFL)?
No. If your degree is not from one of the countries listed above, you must provide English Proficiency Test results.
10. My medium of instruction is English but the country of the institution is excluded from the list. Can I waive the English Proficiency Test?
No, you will need to provide the English Proficiency Test results. English is one of the two official languages of Canada, and the primary language of instruction at UBC. Strong English skills mean new students can settle quickly into their academic environment, and get to know their fellow students and faculty members who will be their colleagues during their time at UBC.