Circulation of Materials
Borrowing physical materials
All are welcome to visit and sign out regular materials from the Reading Room during opening hours.
Students registered in courses may sign out course reserves. Please ask at our front counter.
Grad students, faculty and staff who have card access to the Reading Room can sign out materials at any time (except for course reserves).
Requesting physical materials
Please contact us to request materials for pickup at the Reading Room.
- Check our catalogue for materials and send us the title and call number of the item(s)
- We will collect the material and notify you when it is ready for pickup.
- You may collect your request from the designated table in the Reading Room:
- Grad students, Faculty, staff and researchers with building and room access may pick up at any time
- Undergrad students and visitors may pick up during opening hours
NEW: We currently have the following loan periods for materials. Please return or renew by the due date.
- Course reserves, textbooks: 1-week loan
- Regular loans: 4-week loan
- Grads, Faculty and staff: Term loan (except course textbooks)
The ICICS/CS Reading Room catalogue does not display the availability/circulation status of our material. If you cannot find an item in the stacks, contact the ICICS/CS Reading Room staff. If an item is signed out, we can place a hold for you.
Please return or renew your material by the due date. Email the title and call number to firstname.lastname@example.org to renew.
If another borrower has requested a book that you have signed out, you will be contacted and you may not renew the item.
Return material to the book drop at the ICICS/CS Reading Room (ICCS 262).
Alternatively, if there is at least a week before your due date:
Please address to:
ICICS/CS Reading Room
262 - 2366 Main Mall
Send via campus mail for free (from residences, etc.) or by mail. Please allow at least a week for material to arrive at the Reading Room.
24-hour access to the Reading Room is available to Faculty, Graduate students & Staff in Computer Science or connected to ICICS.
Graduate students whose supervisor is affiliated with ICICS (see ICICS Faculty/Member Directory) may request card/fob access:
- Print and complete the access request form [PDF]
- Ensure that you have obtained a UBC card (or an access fob, if your card is not authorized for access)
- Have your ICICS supervisor sign the form
- Contact us to arrange an orientation session, hand in the form, and have your access updated.
Other students in Graduate courses with material currently on course reserve may be able to get Reading Room access for the term -- with permission from the instructor and the Reading Room Coordinator. Note that access to the Reading Room does not ensure building access.
If you have any questions, please speak to the staff or email email@example.com.
After Hours Access
Please remember to use your access privilege responsibly:
- Do not open the door for anyone after hours
- If the alarm sounds, ensure the doors are closed
- Sign out any material that you remove from the room
Scanning, Printing & Photocopying
Our public workstation has a CD drive and is attached to a scanner. Headphones are available for use in the room.
The Reading Room does not have printers or copiers available for students.
CS Graduate students may access departmental printers and photocopiers. More information here (MyCS login required).
CS Undergraduates: more information on paying for printing here (MyCS login required).
Our study spaces are meant for the use of Reading Room materials only.
Reference and Information
Gifts & Donations
If you are interested in donating to the ICICS/CS Reading Room, please contact us. We will accept gift-in-kind materials (books, reports, etc.) that are suitable for our general collection.
We would like to acknowledge the following gifts:
- Stone sculpture donated by Rabab Ward in memory of Peter Cahoon
- Framed posters donated by Deb Wilson
- New study chairs purchased by ICICS (Panos Nasiopoulos, Director)
We welcome support made to the ICICS/CS Reading Room. You will receive an official, registered UBC tax receipt.
Your donations have been used for:
- new carpeting
- glass doors
- ebook readers