Academic Advising

The Computer Science Department offers express advising (for quick questions), and regular advising for obtaining advice about admissions, enrollment, graduation requirements and course selection. For general program information, please browse other areas of our site thoroughly, or look for answers to Frequently Asked Questionsbefore booking.

What kind of advising is right for you?

In an effort to ensure consistency in advice given to students by Faculty of Science advisors and Computer Science department advisors, the following guidelines are in effect. That means that department advisors will no longer answer questions about Faculty of Science graduation requirements. However, they will continue to offer advice on meeting Computer Science graduation requirements, as set out in any of our programs, and for general advice such as course or program selection.

Questions on any of the following topics can be dealt with by a Computer Science department advisor:

  • CPSC course requirements
  • MATH and STAT course requirements
  • Prerequisites for CPSC courses
  • Help with selecting CPSC courses
  • Computer science program options (e.g. honours, major, combined honours, combined major, COGS, etc.)
  • Admission to computer science undergraduate programs
  • Transfer credits for CPSC courses
  • General academic advice related to computer science programs

Questions on any of the following topics require consultation with a Faculty of Science advisor at the Science Information Centre:

  • First year PHYS, CHEM, and BIOL requirements
  • Choosing electives to satisfy the Science breadth requirement
  • Choosing electives to satisfy the Arts requirement
  • First year ENGL requirements, including questions about LPI
  • Transfer credits for courses other than Computer Science courses
  • Minors and second majors, including those in other faculties 
  • Registration blocked, pending advising
  • Academic resources such as coaching and tutoring
  • Change the maximum number of credits you can take in a session or term
  • Questions or problems regarding graduation, including credit requirements 
  • Resources when personal matters are interfering with your studies

Students who are registered in a combined program or who are taking a minor or second major will need to consult with an advisor in the other department about meeting that department's graduation requirements.

Booking an appointment

Science Advising

Science Advising is located in Room A150 of the Chemistry/Physics building (across the street from the UBC Bookstore) and they can also be reached at 604-822-3820 or by e-mailing  Usually, you don't need an appointment; just walk in, and take a number if there's a queue.

Department Advising

Advising at Computer Science is by appointment only.

You can book a department advising appointment by submitting a 'Request for Advising' webform. 

Please ensure you read the information available online, and the instructions, prior to submitting a webform.

Promo: Reading Room

Reading Room

The Reading Room provides research help, information, and the latest technology news and publications.

Learn more