- Create a Campus Wide Login (CWL) account.
In order to submit an application, you must have a UBC Campus Wide Login (CWL) account.
IMPORTANT: Choose a CWL login name that you like or find acceptable as your CS account will have the same name if you are admitted into the CS graduate program).
Complete the online application.
After you have a CWL account, you can complete the online application for either:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, or
- M.Sc. in Computer Science
The application is available between September 16 and December 15.
- Fill in the application and upload the required documents.
- Pay your Application Fee (non refundable).
When you are ready to submit the application, you should have the method of payment ready as you will be required to pay the application fee. The application fee is waived for international applicants whose citizenship and correspondence address is located in one of the world's 50 least developed countries, as declared by the United Nations. Detailed information is available on the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral website.
- Click "Continue" to submit the application.
After you have paid your application, please remember to click "Continue" to submit the application and all required documents (including reference letters) by December 15.
- Mandatory: three (3) references.
NOTE: We do not provide information about your application over the phone. You must send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application and deadlines
1. Can I apply after December 15, and can my referee submit the reference after Dec. 15? Can I postpone the deadline?
Only completed applications (for which all required applicant documents are uploaded) submitted by December 15 will be considered. Referees have until January 6 to complete reference requests. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Submit all of the required documents early to avoid delays.
2. The deadline is December 15. I don't have the English Proficiency Test report yet. Should I apply?
In order to apply, you must have taken the English Proficiency Test before the deadline, and be able to input the Test Registration Number and Date of Test on the application.
3. Can I apply for both September and January?
The department evaluate applications for September and January at the same time. It will not increase your chances of being admitted if you apply for September and January in the same academic session. Applicants should decide which semester to apply for rather than submitting two sets of applications.
4. Do I submit two applications if I am interested in UBC Okanagan and UBC Vancouver?
UBC Okanagan and UBC Vancouver are separate campuses located in different cities. You will need to submit two separate applications if you want to be admitted to either campus.
5. I have problems entering my degrees because I received two different credentials from same institution with same start and end dates.
Please alter start and end dates of one credential so it differs from the other by one day.
6. Can I apply for an application fee waiver?
Please refer to "1 Pre-Application" on the following webpage for detailed information about "Can my application fee be waived?"
1. Do I need to contact any faculty member or find a supervisor ahead of time?
We admit Master's students directly to the department rather than to an individual supervisor. For our PhD students, we will match them based on their area of interest. You can contact our faculty members directly, but it is not a requirement.” This is too encouraging of people to send us email. Change to: “No, it is not necessary to have contacted a faculty member ahead of time in order to be admitted. While you are welcome to mail faculty directly, please bear in mind that individual faculty members may be unable to respond to requests about supervision due to the volume of such requests.
2. How do I find information about your various research areas/projects, and the faculty in those areas?
Please refer to our website on Research activities.
3. Can I select a non CS faculty member to be my potential supervisor ?
Our online application will only allow you to select faculty members from the Computer Science Department. If you wish to work with faculty member from another department, you should apply to the department that the faculty is in.
1. My GPA is below the requirement; should I still apply?
Our review process involves ranking applicants against each other in different areas of the department's research. The letters of reference are probably the most important, with academic records second and statement of intent third. Research ability/potential is extremely important for PhD applicants. Meeting the minimum requirements may not be sufficient for admittance as top students from around the world compete for our limited number of positions. Students who don't meet the minimum requirement can submit an application at their own risk.
1. I have not completed my degree as I am in the final year of studies, can I still apply for the MSc program?
You may apply as long as your degree is conferred before our program start date. Please upload your most current transcripts at the time of application.