VibViz: Vibrotactile Effect Visualization and Customization
The goal of this project is to empower ordinary users, without any design background, to personalize vibration notifications for their own preference and utilitarian needs. The project is composed of four components:
1) Simple personalization tools for end-users and their chracteristics,
2) Acess to large vibration libraries by means of visualizing vibrations and four descriptive facets (VibViz),
3) Vibration facets and their substructure and linkages
4) Stylizing or tuning filters (slider) for vibrations
Publicly available tools and datasets:
- VibViz interface
- VibViz source code on GitHub (under New BSD license)
- VibViz library dataset: 120 vibrations including their (.wav) files, their aggregated ratings and tags, and the MDS dimensions for the Sensation, Emotion, Metaphor, and Usage Facets.
Seifi, H., Zhang, K., and MacLean, K.E., “VibViz: Organizing, visualizing and navigating vibration libraries,” in Proc. of IEEE WorldHaptics (WHC'15), Chicago, pp. 6 pages, 2015.