Data Vis for Journalists Fall 2016, Lab 6
Summary: Putting It All Together
In this final assignment, you'll put together everything you've learned in this module to create a polished story with vizzes about some newsworthy dataset that you find or create at its core.
Schedule: Out: Oct 4 2016. Due: Nov 1 2016, 9am
- Find, or create, a newsworthy dataset. (Don't reuse one you used
in a past lab.)
- Analyze this data with Tableau, creating vizzes that showcase
your findings. At least one
should be static, at least one should be linked/interactive
- Upload your vizzes to Tableau Public
- Write up an illustrated story suitable for public consumption, featuring your
vizzes at its heart. It should be under 1500 words and should include images created with Tableau and also at least one interactive viz embedded from Tableau Public.
- In a separate document (also illustrated with images), write up your design rationale and
reflections on process. Discuss both your findings and any dead
ends that you ran into in your analysis process. Provide a rigorous rationale for your decision decisions, especially the effectiveness of your visual encoding choices (both the visual encodings you used in the final story, and those you decided were not so effective and did not include).
- Submit both documents in PDF format, send your Tableau file as a packaged workbook (tbwx format, not tbw format), and and also send the URL for your Tableau Public uploads.
- Send by email to tmm AT cs.ubc.ca and caitlin AT discoursemedia.org by 9am Tue Nov 1, with subject "JOURN
Back to Data Vis for Journalists 2016 Home
Last modified: Tue Oct 18 10:29:11 PDT 2016