News and Events
- April 2013: Imager grad student Nicholas Vining, who moonlights as CTO of Gaslamp Games, discusses their latest development advances here.
- April 2013: Joanna McGrenere wins an MSR SEIF award for proposal on Adaptive Touch Targeting for Mobile Devices: Supporting Users Across the Adult Lifespan.
- April 2013: Tyson Brochu, Imager lab alum, has won the Alain Fournier award for best doctoral thesis in graphics in Canada this year for his work pioneering mesh-based fluid simulation in graphics, and related problems along the way.
HCI/Viz Research Talks at UBC by
Colin Ware and
Several seminars, colloquia, and other talks related to human-computer interaction (HCI) and Visualization will be taking place in early 2013 at UBC.
- January 17, 3:30pm DMP 110: Beth Mynatt - Combining Computing, Design and Healthcare
- February 4, 2:00pm, ICICS x836: Tony Tang - title TBA
- February 27, 2:00 pm, ICICS x836: Gerhard Fischer - title TBA
- March 7, 3:30pm, DMP 110: Colin Ware - Visual Thinking Algorithms
- March 8, time and place TBA: Patrick Baudisch - title TBA
- Jan 2013: This Robotic Fur Patch is Cooler Than Your Cat, MIT Technology Review, Feb 8 2012, featuring recent UBC CS' SPIN Lab's Anna Flagg and Karon MacLean.
- Jan 2013: Prof. Doug James will receive an Academy Award (Oscar) for Technical Achievement on Feb 9, 2013.
Doug received his Ph.D. (2001) at UBC in Applied Mathematics, supervised by Computer Science Professor Dinesh K. Pai. He continued as a postdoc at UBC Department of Computer Science until the summer of 2002 when he started a faculty position at Carnegie Mellon University. He is currently an Associate Professor in Computer Science at Cornell University.
- Jan 2013: ICICS has won a $10M NSERC CERC in "Digital Media Research and Innovation". Recruiting opportunities coming, stay tuned.
- Nov 2012: Associate Professor Joanna McGrenere is the recipient of the 2012 Killam Award for Excellence in Mentoring.
Joanna was commended for her exemplary record in providing supervision, inspiration and support for graduate students.
- Nov 2012: Imager conference papers accepted recently at Siggraph Asia, CHI, IUI, HRI, ICRA, WorldHaptics.
- Libin Liu, KangKang Yin, Michiel van de Panne, Baining Guo, (Imager members: van de Panne), “Terrain Runner: Control, Parameterization, Composition, and Planning for Highly Dynamic Motion”
- M. Bessmetsev, C. Wang, A. Sheffer, K. Singh, (Imager members: Bessmetsev, Sheffer), “Design-Driven Quadrangulation of Closed 3D Curves”.
- Tam, MacLean, McGrenere, Kuchenbecker, “The Design and Field Observation of a Haptic Notification System for Timing Awareness During Oral Presentations,” in Proc. of ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), Paris, 2013.
- Gleeson, MacLean, Haddadi, Croft, Alcazar, “Gestures for Industry: Intuitive Human-Robot Communication from Human Observation,” in Proc. of ACM/IEEE Int'l Conf on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), Tokyo, 2013.
- Schneider, MacLean, Altun, Karuei, Wu, “Real-Time Gait Classification for Persuasive Smartphone Apps: Structuring the Literature and Pushing the Limits,” in Proc. of Int'l Conf in Intelligent User Interfaces (IUI), Santa Monica, 2013.
- Seifi, MacLean, “Identifying Parameters for Affective Rating of Vibrations,” in Proc. of IEEE WorldHaptics, Daejon, S. Korea, 2013.
- Haddadi, Croft, Gleeson., MacLean, Alcazar, “Analysis of Task-Based Gestures in Human-Robot Interaction,” in Proc. of IEEE Int'l Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Karlsruhe, 2013.
- Nov 2012: Congratulations graduates!
- PhD: Steve Yohanan (supervisor Karon MacLean)
- MSc: Anna Flagg (Karon MacLean)
- M.A.Sc.: Matthew Pan (Mech; Elizabeth Croft and Karon MacLean)
- MSc: Oliver Schneider (Karon MacLean)
- MSc.: Ian James South-Dickinson (Alla Sheffer)
- MSc: Diane Tam (Joanna McGrenere and Karon MacLean).
- Sept 2012: Imager faculty member Robert Bridson recently sold his start-up company Exotic Matter (physics-based animation technology for visual effects) to Autodesk.