Finished Papers, 2011
December 5th, 2011: Sancho presents an overview of recent improvements to the spatial pyramid recognition method.
- We will primarily read: Boureau, Y.-L., Bach, F., LeCun, Y., & Ponce, J. Learning mid-level features for recognition. CVPR 2010 (pp. 2559-2566). [Retrieved from].
- Sancho will also discuss 2 recent papers: Boureau, Y.-L., Le Roux, N., Bach, F., Ponce, J., & LeCun, Y. Ask the locals: multi-way local pooling for image recognition. ICCV 2011. [External Link] and Liu, L., Wang, L., & Liu, X. In Defense of Soft-assignment Coding. ICCV 2011. [External Link].
November 28th, 2011: Wei-Lwun gives the practice talk for his PhD thesis oral defense. We will read his recent paper: W.L. Lu, J.A. Ting, K.P. Murphy, J.J. Little, "Identifying Players in Broadcast Sports Videos using Conditional Random Fields", CVPR 2011. [External Link].
- November 14th, 2011: Jim Little presents: Amin Sadeghi, Ali Farhadi. Recognition using Visual Phrases. In proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition. 2011. Best Student Paper Award. [External Link]
- November 7th, 2011: Ankur Gupta presents: Joseph Tighe, Svetlana Lazebnik. "Understanding Scenes on Many Levels". ICCV 2011. [External Link]
- October 31st, 2011: Ian Dewancker presents: Grabner H., Gall J., and van Gool L., What Makes a Chair a Chair?, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR'11), 1529-1536. [External Link]
- October 24th, 2011: Dave Meger presents: M. Krainin, P. Henry, X. Ren, and D. Fox. Manipulator and Object Tracking for In-Hand 3D Object Modeling. International Journal of Robotics Research (IJRR), 2011 (To appear) [External Link]
- October 17th, 2011: Marius Muja presents: Binary Coherent Edge Descriptors. C. Lawrence Zitnick. ECCV 2010. [External Link]
- September 19th, 2011: Ankur Gupta and Dave Meger present: S. Yingze Bao and S. Savarese, Semantic Structure from Motion, Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2011 [External Link]
September 12th, 2011: Martin Lesmana MSc Thesis presentation: "Biologically Motivated Controllers for Robotic Eyes". We present the development of computational models of biological motor control used in two different types of eye movements --- gaze shifting and gaze stabilization. They are then implemented and tested on robotic systems. The thesis also investigates the application of these
biological motor control strategies in robotics applications.
July 12th, 2011: Parnian presents: Place Recognition in 3D Scans Using a Combination of Bag of Words and Point Feature based Relative Pose Estimation. B. Steder, M. Ruhnke, S. Grzonka, and W. Burgard. In Proc. of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS). 2011. Accepted for publication. [External Link].
June 28th, 2011: Andrew Duan presents his MSc thesis work. Title: Automatic Determination of Puck Possession and Location in Broadcast Hockey Video
June 21st, 2011: Ankur Gupta presents: Abhinav Gupta, Scott Satkin, Alyosha Efros and Martial Hebert. From 3D Scene Geometry to Human Workspace. CVPR 2011. [External Link].
June 14th, 2011: David Kerr presents: Eduardo S. L. Gastal and Manuel M. Oliveira. Shared Sampling for Real-Time Alpha Matting. Computer Graphics Forum. Volume 29 (2010), Number 2, Proceedings of Eurographics 2010, pp. 575-584. [paper link].
May 23, 2011: Scott Helmer
presents Sparse Distance Learning for Object Recognition Combining RGB and Depth Information. -
Kevin Lai, Liefeng Bo, Xiaofeng Ren, and Dieter Fox. Best Paper at ICRA
May 17, 2011: Sancho McCann
presents Graph Cut based Inference with Co-occurrence Statistics. -
L. Ladicky, C. Russell, P. Kohli, P. H.S. Torr. Best Paper at ECCV
Since April 26, we've been reading a new book by Nowozin and
Lampert, Structured Learning and Prediction in Computer Vision. Topics include graphical models, structured prediction, conditional
random fields, and structured support vector machines. [pdf]
April 19, 2011: David Lowe
presents Online learning of robust
object detectors during unstable tracking - Z. Kalal, J. Matas, and
K. Mikolajczyk. from the On-line Learning and Computer Vision Workshop,
March 29, 2011: Sancho McCann presents
Real-time Human Pose Recognition in Parts from Single Depth Images
- J. Shotton, A. Fitzgibbon, M. Cook, T. Sharp, M. Finocchio, R. Moore,
A. Kipman, and A. Blake. CVPR
2011 (to appear). [pdf]
March 15, 2011: Shervin Mohammadi Tari presents
Robust Tracking-by-Detection using a Detector Confidence Particle Filter
- M.D. Breitenstein, F. Reichlin, B. Leibe, E. Koller-Meier, L. Van Gool. ICCV
March 8, 2011: Matt Brown (EPFL) presents recent work on learning visual
features in the visibile and infrared.
March 1, 2011: Kenji Okuma presents:
Interface for Active Localization - Kenji Okuma, Eric Brochu, David
G. Lowe, James J. Little. VISAPP
February 22, 2011: Shervin Mohammadi Tari
presents: Generating Sharp Panoramas from Motion-blurred Videos -
Yunpeng Li, Sing Bing Kang, Neel Joshi, Steve Seitz, Dan Huttenlocher. CVPR
link] [Supplementary material]
February 8, 2011: Xin (Andrew) Duan
presents his in-progress Masters work on determining hockey team and player
possession information from video.
January 25, 2011: Sancho McCann
presents: CHoG: Compressed Histogram of Gradients - Chandrasekhar, V.,
Takacs, G., Chen, D., Tsai, S., Grzeszczuk, R., and Girod, B. CVPR
January 18, 2011: Kenji Okuma presents: What
does Classifying more than 10,000 Image Categories Tell us? - Jia Deng,
Alexander Berg, Kai Li, and Li Fei-Fei. ECCV 2010. [External link]
January 11th, 2011: David Lowe
presents: BRIEF: Binary Robust Independent Elementary Features - Michael
Calonder, Vincent Lepetit, Christoph Strecha, and Pascal Fua. ECCV
2010. [External link].
Robuddies main page
To return to the main robuddies page, click here.