Data Vis for Journalists Fall 2016, Lab 4
The objective of this lab is to learn how to add basic interactivity to
Tableau dashboards. Also, you'll start thinking in depth about your final project by
writing up a proposal.
Schedule: Out: Oct 4 2016. Due: Oct 11 2016, 9am
- The first two parts of this assignment are to be done in the
same groups of two as last week's assignment. The third part is
- See House Price Index demo above. Work through anything we didn't
have time for in class; review what we did work through to solidify your understanding.
- Check out the original New York Times piece on Home Prices in 20 Cities
- Start a new Tableau workbook
- Connect the house price index CSV (comma-separated values) source to your workbook
- Pivot the data.
- Create the initial view and set the starting date with a filter.
- Create parameters and fields to control
color and size of highlighted city.
- Calculate the index date and use it to control the
- Use a fixed date range and add reference line.
- Add interactivity to your workbook from last week
- Add linked highlighting between at least two views with
- Upload the viz to Tableau Public
- Revise your news story to incorporate this new interactive
- Write up a proposal for your final project.
Lab 6 Instructions for more about the project.
- Plan to spend some significant time thinking about the
dataset for your project: finding appropriate data and starting some
intial experimentation in Tableau to convince yourself that what
you'd like to do is realistic and possible. Your proposal should
explain the big picture of your project idea, and should either include a link
to a suitable dataset or a description of how you intend to create
- The proposal should be under 500 words and in PDF format. Illustrations are
not required (although feel free to include them if your initial
explorations have any promising preliminary results).
- Submit both completed workbooks, the revised news story in
PDF format, and the URL for your Tableau Public viz (just one mail for both team members). Also, send your final project proposal
individually. Send by email to tmm AT cs.ubc.ca and caitlin AT
discoursemedia.org by 9am Oct 11, with subject "JOURN Week 4
team" for the first email and subject "JOURN Week 4 solo" for
the second one.
Back to Data Vis for Journalists 2016 Home
Last modified: Mon Oct 17 13:00:54 PDT 2016