Kris De Volder
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Office Phone: +1 (604) 822 1209
- Office Fax: +1 (604) 822 5485
- Office: CICSR 309
Lic. in Computer Science, Vrije Universiteit Brussel (1988-1992);
TA/PhD Student Vrije Universiteit Brussel (1992-1998); Postdoc TA
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (1998-2000); Assistant Prof. UBC
The current research topics in my group focus around the area of overlap that exists between
programming-language design and software development tools. I have a particular interest in
aspect-oriented software development, tools and languages.
Two recurring themes in much of our research are:
- the use and construction of software tools that provide developers with dynamic
views on code that help them see and work with implicit structure that
could not otherwise be easily discovered or explicitly manipulated.
- the use of a declarative, logic programming language to express, verify and discover
interesting properties and structure of source code.
The following projects and papers are representative of what my group is working on:
- JQuery: JQuery is a query-based source code
browser, developed as an Eclipse plug-in. A JQuery user can define
his or her own browsers on-the-fly by formulating logic queries
against his/her source code. The user can specify how query results
should be organized in a hierarchical source code browser in a
simple and easy way.
- Tableau: An Eclipse plugin that strives to increase the perceptual locality of source code
by dynamically generating views that localize scattered source code elements, based on navigation
history and static relationships.
- Programming with Crosscutting Effective Views: In this paper we present a
system that allows a developer to move fluidly between two
alternative modular views on the decomposition of the program,
editing the program either as decomposed into classes, or
alternatively as decomposed into modules that crosscut classes.
- TyRuBa: Is
a sophisticated logic programming language / query engine that
has static type and mode checking system. This language is the
query engine on which the JQuery tool was built.
with Crosscutting Effective Views. European Conference on
Object-Oriented Programming (ECOOP) 2004, Oslo. Doug Janzen and
Kris De Volder.
- Building Composable Aspect-Specific Languages with Logic Metaprogramming. The ACM SIGPLAN/SIGSOFT Conference on Generative Programming and Component Engineering (GPCE), 2002. Johan Brichau, Kim Mens and Kris De Volder.
Programming: Improve the Design Vocabulary of Your Code.
Demonstration proposal accepted at OOPSLA 2001, Tampa Florida.
Avi Bryant, Andrew Catton, Kris De Volder and Gail Murphy
- Logic Meta Programming,
a Framework for Domain-Specific Aspect Languages
Kris De Volder, Johan Brichau, Kim Mens, Theo D'Hondt
- Type-Oriented Logic Meta Programming,
Ph.D Dissertation, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1998, Brussels.
Kris De Volder
- Aspect-Oriented Logic Meta Programming,
Proceedings of Meta-Level Architectures and Reflection, Second
International Conference, Reflection'99. LNCS 1616, pp. 250-272,
De Volder Kris, D'Hondt Theo,
of Object-Oriented Software Design and Implementation:
TACT Symposium Proceedings, Kluwer Academic Publishers,
D'Hondt Theo, De Volder Kris, Mens Kim, Wuyts
Aspects. ECOOP 2000, Workshop on Aspects & Dimensions of
Concerns, Workshop reader of ECOOP'2000, Cannes, France,
2000. Brichau Johan, De Meuter Wolfgang, De Volder Kris. download)(View extensive information)
- Logic Meta Components as a Generic Component Model
Fifth International Workshop on Component-Oriented Programming,
Workshop reader of ECOOP'2000, Cannes, France, 2000
De Volder Kris, Fabry Johan, Wuyts
- Type-Oriented Logic Meta Programming for Java
VUB-Prog Techreport 98-3, 1998, Brussels
De Volder Kris,
- Construction of the Reflective Tower Based on Open
VUB-Prog Techreport 95-01, 1995, Brussels
De Volder Kris, Steyaert Patrick,