- I’m on the job market! Please feel free to contact me by email or linkedin with any interesting opportunities.
- 25 Jan 2016: I gave a talk at the LCI forum. Here are the slides if you missed it or if you want to follow up on any references.
- Going to Spain for AISTATS 2016! I’ll present my latest work on unbounded Bayesian optimization via regularization. Here’s a preview.
- The 2015 edition of the NIPS Workshop on Bayesian optimization was a huge success! Thanks to my co-organizers, particularly Roberto Calandra for doing much of the leg work with me. Thanks to the program committee, invited speakers, and of course attendees for making the workshop and panel discussion interesting! Finally, thank you to Microsoft Research for a generous sponsorship.
- As co-organizer, I gave a talk introducing Bayesian optimization, focussing on challenges concerning scalability and flexibility at the NIPS 2015 BayesOpt workshop.
Quick and dirty implementation of the Deep Network for Global Optimization (DNGO) from the nice paper by Snoek et al. (ICML 2015). Have fun playing around with it!
For our work on portfolio Bayesian optimization I’ve had to experiment with Spearmint so I wrote spex, a small python package to handle much of the bookkeeping involved in running repeated experiments.
- Shahriari, B., Swersky, K., Wang, Z., Adams, R. P., & de Freitas, N. (2016). Taking the Human Out of the Loop: A Review of Bayesian Optimization. In Proceedings of the IEEE (Vol. 104, pp. 1–28). (link)
- Shahriari, B., Bouchard-Côté, A., & de Freitas, N. (2016). Unbounded Bayesian Optimization via Regularization. In AISTATS. (link) (poster)
- Hoffman, M. W., & Shahriari, B. (2014). Modular mechanisms for Bayesian optimization. In NIPS workshop on Bayesian optimization. (pdf) (code)
- Shahriari, B., Wang, Z., Hoffman, M. W., Bouchard-Côté, A., & de Freitas, N. (2014). An entropy search portfolio for Bayesian optimization. In NIPS workshop on Bayesian optimization. (link) (poster)
- Hoffman, M. W., Shahriari, B., & de Freitas, N. (2014). On correlation and budget constraints in model-based bandit optimization with application to automatic machine learning. In AISTATS (pp. 365–374). (pdf) (poster) (talk)
- M. Sc. Thesis. (2010). The modified Cahn-Hilliard equation on general surfaces. (link)