Small World Graph Visualization
The following applet requires that you accept the security certificate in
order to read from the local file system. No files are written or created
during the execution of the code. That being said, I must warn: this
software comes with no warranty and by accepting the certificate you agree
that the author of the code (me) is not responsible for any damage
The applet requires a graph in one of two formats:
- Simple edge format - A text file where each line signifies an edge
(example line: "node1 node2" puts and edge between node1 and node2).
A sample of these can be found in the examples folder in this archive here.
- GML - I wrote a very primitive parser for gml files that probably
isn't robust enough for every file out there but should work for most
- The vertical slider on the right controls the constant degree of
abastraction of the graph.
- The left horizontal slider controls the radius of the geometric lens.
- The right horizontal slider controls the radius of the degree of
- The Average Link button sets the graph layout with Noack's LinLog
layout and average link clustering.
- The Newman button sets the graph layout with Newman clustering
(geometry independent) and then a recursive spatial subdivision layout
using the resulting dendrogram
- You can set the graph to draw no edges, edges as lines, and edges at
tubes (currently broken).
- The "High Quality" turns antialiasing on and off.
- If nothing appears, try mousing over the display a few times.
- To load another file, reload the page in your browser.
This report details the arduous process of
constructing the above visualization using the prefuse toolkit. It
discusses the thoughts that went in to buiding the visualization, the
compromises made, how useful the results are, and the lessons learned.
This jar contains the source code of the
project. Just import it into Eclipse and hack away! Direct questions and
comments to sfingram@NOSPAMcs.ubc.ca .
In no order, this project is indebted to the fine work of the following
My Home Page